What Do We Do In Pre-K?
- Literacy Development: Build an understanding of language and literature. Includes listening, speaking, reading, and writing. This helps build skills such as communication, vocabulary, letter recognition, and story comprehension. Story time helps develop an appreciation and enjoyment of literature.
- Math Activities: Include hands-on and authentic experiences. Help to develop an awareness of numbers, geometry, patterns, measurement, and graphing.
- Manipulative Play: Improves visual perception, hand-eye coordination as well as develops problem solving and social skills.
- Circle Time: Group gathering where the day’s plans, ideas, and observations are shared. It is designed to stimulate thinking, enrich social skills, and expand attention spans.
- Art Activities: Improve creativity. Help to express thoughts and feelings. Reinforce fine-motor skills and concept development in areas that include color and shape recognition and size relationships.
- Dramatic Play Activities: Develop practical life skills and problem solving, expression of self, improve social skills, increase self-esteem, and build vocabulary.
- Music Activities: Promote listening skills, social skills as well as creative expression. Explore sound, volume, tempo, and rhythm.
- Science Activities: Offer hands-on opportunities for observation, exploration, investigation, prediction making, and experimentation.
- Block Play: Experience shape and size discrimination, special relationships, number skills, balance, organization, cause and effect, and classification. Cooperative play skills, problem solving, and creativity are also promoted and explored.
- Gross-Motor Skill Activities: Engage in running, jumping, and climbing to build strength in the large muscle groups of the body.
- Fine-Motor Skill Activities: Improve small muscle development and hand-eye coordination by manipulating puzzles, laces, pegboards, crayons, pencils, and paint brushes.
- Religion: Learn about the love Jesus has for us, read Bible stories, learn age-appropriate prayers, participate in Good God Choices, and practice good manners.
- Spanish (Pre-K 4): Learn to speak Spanish vocabulary through participation in songs, dances, and hands-on projects.